Thursday, May 22, 2014

Madrid, New Mexico

I visited the COOLEST town today - Madrid, New Mexico.  Madrid is located about 25 miles south of Santa Fe along the scenic Turquoise Trail.  It is nestled in a narrow canyon in the Ortiz Mountains. Once a historic coal mining town and ghost town, Madrid is now an artist community with over 40 shops and galleries, several restaurants, and a museum.  I loved this town and it's friendly, unique people.  I was so glad I visited here.


Common sight in New Mexico - dust storms!


This was a pretty area along the Turquoise Trail.



 Pretty view of the mountains.





I like the "Old Goat Road."


They are very, very dog-friendly.  They LOVE their dogs here.





There were the coolest buildings that were shops,
restaurants, etc.  I loved the old buildings.



This was once a mining town.



















Love it -- and it runs!









A friend recommended this place to eat, The Hollar.  I really didn't know what to expect, and was pleasantly surprised.  They didn't have much of a vegetarian menu, but they did have a tempeh and fruit salad plate.  When it came, it was beautiful - like a work of art.  And, was SO delicious.  My friend had a burrito with AMAZING sweet potato fries.  I was glad we ate here!






The tempeh was SO good!


LOTS of food.  You do NOT come away hungry!