Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Red Rock Canyon (Las Vegas, NV)

I never get tired of visiting Red Rock Canyon, outside of Las Vegas, Nevada.  It's like another world when you come off the Las Vegas Strip and into this beautiful, serene place.  Sometimes there are little wild burros in the canyon, but I didn't see any today.  It is just a gorgeous place to drive around or take a nice hike!
 
 
Obvious why it's called Red Rock Canyon!



 
A cute little lizard.










Nice, peaceful place to ride a motorcycle.


 
There are Indian pictographs in this area (pic above, you can't see it).  Pic below, you can see it - the 5 hand prints.  

 
I enhanced the color to make the hand prints more visible.  They are beautiful!

 
I didn't see any burros today here, but I have in the past.


 
A nice vulture.

 
There is about 3 inches of shade in this entire place, and I am hogging it ALL up!

 
I don't know how flowers, or anything, live in this heat.  The desert is so hot and dry, yet things seem to survive.


 
I saw the big, giant, dog-sized bug, but I didn't even see the little butterfly until I was looking at my photos on my computer.
 






 
Joshua Trees (above and below) - there are a lot of them here.
 
 
 
I am fascinated by rock climbers.  Rock climbing is particularly popular here and in Utah.  I love to just sit back and watch them.

 
Look at the little spec in the middle of the page.  That's a guy in a white shirt who climbed up there!


 
You can see him and his two friends.

 
These folks are climbing DOWN into the canyon.

 
They are waaaay down there.


 
I went from the Grand Canyon yesterday where it was 48-degrees, to Nevada, where the high today was 98-degrees!  What a difference!