Monday, May 19, 2014

Still in Texas!

My travels today took me from Dallas, Texas, to Amarillo, Texas.  It's normally about a 6 hour drive; however, it seemed to take forever for me because there were so many things to stop and see. 

My first stop was at the Texas Motor Speedway, right outside of Dallas.  It seemed like they were having some kind of amateur day - it was fun to watch the cars racing around the track.







 
I continued north, stopping to see these Cliff Swallows nesting under a concrete overpass.  They were so beautiful and there were hundreds of them.  They make their tiny nests out of mud and it seems they fight over who gets which nest.  There were plenty of the little homes, but they were all trying to fit in one or two.  I stood there for a while and watched them - they were so intriguing.






 
Continuing on, I went through several small towns in northern Texas that seemed almost abandoned.  It's sad to see these towns with so many closed businesses and people's livelihood taken from them.  This is an abandoned filling station.

 
My day concluded with a meal at The Big Texan.  As I would expect, there was NOTHING for a vegetarian to eat other than some side dishes and giant desserts.  This is a landmark in Amarillo and a fun place to visit.

 
This guy got this 72-oz steak and if he eats it within 1 hour, it will be free.  BUT, he also has to eat a salad, a baked potato, a couple fried shrimp and a roll.  They sit you up in front of the restaurant and set a timer.  He started so strong and cocky.  About 20 minutes in, he was fading fast!

 
He did NOT finish it - he quit 15 minutes before his time was up.  He, therefore, had to pay $72 for his steak dinner.  No telling how much he is going to have to pay for the heart attack he is sure to have!

 
And, I've got no room to talk - because THIS was my dessert.  Everything is bigger in Texas!  (At least I did share it!)

 
The little game room in the restaurant.  Texas is all about guns, guts and glory!


Texas has flies the size of small dogs!!  This thing had a 3-foot wingspan!