Sunday, June 15, 2014

Colorado National Monument

I finally left the desert today and entered beautiful Colorado.  FINALLY, some nice green trees and SHADE!  My first stop was the Colorado Monument, which is near the Colorado / Utah border.  It's a beautiful place, with a treacherous drive up the mountain - it has sharp curves and drop-offs.  But, the views from the top were magnificent.  Awesome place - run by the National Park Service (which, obviously, I am a big fan of!)




 These guys are all over Colorado and Utah, way up in the rocks.  Sometimes you see them, sometimes you don't.


 I saw two here today, mother and baby I think.  They were up so high on some rocks, I could hardly see them.


 I am not a big fan of tunnels, but these were very short!  I wouldn't want to be that guy on the little bike up here.  The winds are very strong.



Incredible views!












 The Moon.  A Golden Eagle.  And a Giant Rock!


This little  reptilian creature was trying to hide from me, but I wasn't having it!



The raging Colorado River (Fruita, CO).  I don't think that tree is supposed to be under water.  The River has been dangerously high for the past couple weeks from a lot of snow melt.

(Click play button to play video)