Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Moab, Utah

Moab, Utah, is a great small town with friendly CASUAL people.  (Even I am overdressed here!)  Everything is outdoor activities; nobody stays inside.  It seems there are more people riding bikes here than are in cars.  Their bike paths are completely separate from the streets and are very safe.  I love it.  Beautiful town - very cool!


I loved this house.  Their driveway has a replica of "Delicate Arch" in Arches National Park.  Very nice.


The pool at my hotel; again, a duplicate of Delicate Arch.


Beautiful red rocks from every place in town.


I am not sure if this was real rock art, or something recent.  They were way too perfect to be ancient rock paintings.


The Colorado River runs right through Moab.  The River was very high these past few days.  All around the River are huge rock formations - a popular spot for outdoor activities.







AWESOME bike paths.  They even have the line drawn on them!


In my city, when they make a bike path, they don't even make a separate lane.  They just paint a bike on the street.  That's why bike riders get killed where I live - that, and we have HORRIBLE, rude drivers who don't yield to anybody.  I love the separate bike paths here.



More bike paths around the River.


Ok, so, I'm walking along the River taking in the scenery and am hearing saxophone music.  I thought I was hearing things, because there is nothing around that should be playing saxophone music.  I look waaaaaay up on this rock, and see a tiny white speck.  Turns out, there's a guy up there playing music.  It was SO nice.  I have no idea how this dude got up there.



Location, location, location!


(Click on play button to play video)



I always say, to each his own - live your life how you want.  I don't have kids, so I can't say if I would let them do something that might get them killed.  These people stopped their RV along this huge sand hill.  The kids climbed up to the top (I would have a heart attack about 3 feet up), and then started running or throwing themselves down - while the ADULTS stood at the bottom and cheered them on.  Some were little kids - I couldn't believe it.  I have to think that, maybe, I would have stopped my own child from doing this.  Sometimes, just say NO!  (No kids were killed doing this - one cried when he fell to the bottom, but he got up so he seemed okay.)










More, more, and more petroglyphs.  These are about 4 miles out of Moab, near a golf course.  They are very close to the street and you can just pull up and see them.  There's a wooden fence around them, but it doesn't prevent stupid people from defacing them.













These are bullet holes, but nobody seems to know why someone would shoot up this place - nor do they know how old the bullet holes are.


Marty, apparently, didn't have anything better to do on this day than come out and deface some beautiful ancient writings.  Well, one thing's for sure, Marty certainly was described perfectly below his name!!


These petroglyphs are on the way to Potash.  They are very visible and you don't even have to get out of your car - just pull over.  There are hundreds of them.











 Now, these, people claim, are dinosaur tracks.  Looks like just a scuffed piece of rock to me.  But, I am going to take their word for it; I'm gullible like that.


 This rock, in Moonflower Canyon, is one of my favorite sites for petroglyphs.  Unfortunately, there is a lot of vandalism around this area (idiots carving their names on these ancient writings).  This rock, has so many petroglyphs on it, including my favorite:  A woman giving birth, while the man stands by and does nothing!  I always stop and see this when I am in Moab.  I don't know why - it's not like it is going to have anything added to it or change.  I just like it.


There's the woman having the baby and Chief Daddy just standing there!


 Glorious sunset over Moab, Utah!