Monday, June 2, 2014

MORE Bristlecones!

Okay, so, for trees that are really, really rare and impossible to find, I am certainly finding a LOT of them.  This was another Bristlecone Trail I stumbled upon while driving a very long and winding road in the Dixie National Forest.  They were beautiful, and the hike to get to them was MUCH easier.  It was only a mile (round-trip) and mostly on flat ground (now THAT's what I like).  It is always breathtaking to see these trees and their natural, ancient beauty.

 
The forest service put this beautiful walkway out to the end of the cliff.  These trees are so high up, that one slip of your footing and you will fall into the abyss of a mountain - never to be seen again.











 
It is amazing how despite cold, wind, altitude and no soil, these trees have survived for centuries.




 
The hike was super-easy and mostly flat (just like this Floridian likes it), with just a little incline (gasp, gasp!).

 
There were still some small patches of snow on the ground.



 
 
I think I will get to see one more batch of Bristlecones when I get to Bryce Canyon, then that's it for them for this trip.