Saturday, June 7, 2014

Zion National Park

Today, I left the Bryce Canyon area and took the scenic drive down to Zion National Park.  But, not before stopping to talk to some beautiful horses (they didn't talk back). 



When I stopped for gas, I saw these adorable dogs riding in the back of a truck. They were SO cute and seemed to be happy being out for a ride!  They were patiently waiting for their owner.


Zion is a wonderful national park that I have visited many times.  There's always something new to do or somewhere different to explore.  It was a beautiful, but hot, day here.




In the summer, you have to take a bus to get to the various parts of the park (it cuts down on traffic jams inside the park).  In the winter, you can drive yourself.  The buses are not air-conditioned, but they are so nice and cool.  This is the top of the bus, looking out.  Nice view.



The Virgin River.


As I was walking along the river, I stopped to dip my feet in.   I took my shoes off, and when I came back, this RAT was trying to steal them!  Little punk!







This kid was cooling off on a really hot day!




See the top of this?  It's a million miles up!


These are CRAZY people who have hiked up there!  This hike is called Angel's Landing.


I cannot believe that they are up there!


A gorgeous hawk


A lizard


Red Robins



A little Warbler


LOTS of deer!






And, lots of rats.  Ah, I mean squirrels!








 The walk down to what is known as "The Narrows" is a very nice hike.  You walk along the river and can even jump in if you want.  Once you get to the Narrows, you are in ankle-deep water, sometimes more, and you hike along the very narrow walls of the canyon.  You can go 8 miles or 8 feet.  I opted for the 8 feet - that water was COLD! 



Everybody changes into waterproof shoes or boots to continue the hike into the Narrows.


It is beautiful!


This woman was Super-Mom.  Not only did she bypass me, she was dragging one kid and had another one on her shoulders.  I could barely drag myself on that hike!


She swapped one kid for another.  Please!  That kid is old enough to walk.  If I can do it, HE can do it!


I love all the flowers in Zion!











These delicate little Columbines are beautiful!