Thursday, June 19, 2014

Rocky Mountain Arsenal National Wildlife Preserve

The Rocky Mountain Arsenal was a United States chemical weapons manufacturing center located in the Denver Metropolitan Area in Commerce City, Colorado.  The site was operated by the United States Army throughout the late 20th century and was controversial among local residents until its closure in 1992.  Now it is a protected wildlife refuge (Rocky Mountain Arsenal NWR).  It does seem strange that where animals now live and thrive was once where they manufactured chemical weapons.  I guess no humans would want to live there, so why not?  Whatever the case, it was a birdwatchers DREAM here.  I saw more varieties of birds than I have ever seen anywhere, including a bald eagles and golden eagles.  There are also elk, buffalo, deer, and THOUSANDS of burrowing rats – aaah, I mean prairie dogs!



 The granddaddy of all raptors - The Bald Eagle




This little swallow had a mud nest on the roof near the visitor center.  There was a baby in the nest, but I didn't want to get too close and disturb her.  She was VERY protective of her young.  Any other bird would have flow away, but she wasn't leaving that nest with humans there looking at it.



A baby Meadowlark

The photo is hard to see because it was very far away.  But this is a tree with 2 adult hawks and a juvenile hawk in the nest.  Daddy (I assume) is at the top towards the right.  Mom is at the very bottom, a little to the left, and the nest with baby is in the center bottom



 I love, love, love these magpies.  Love them.  They are all over Colorado but rarely stand still long enough to photograph.



This was a baby magpie.  He was fluttering in the tree, and the mother (pic below this one) was squawking at me to get away from him.  I obliged.





 VERY nice sighting.  A juvenile Golden Eagle.


 Birds with a view of the majestic Rockies!


 This wildlife refuge had a big herd of buffalo. 


 A sweet little bunny hiding.



 Nice view of the Rockies.



Awesome view of the skyline of downtown Denver, Colorado.


 This bee was persistent, if nothing else!








These prairie dogs were TAUNTING me.  They would bark at me then when I went to take a photo, they would run and hide!!  I finally outsmarted them and got a couple photos.  They are all over Colorado.